10 Things to know about the New Medicare Card
IMPORTANT UPDATE: The transition to the new Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) system is complete! As of January 1, 2020 you must use your updated Medicare Card with your new Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI). You may no longer use the outdated card with your Social Security number.
- All new cards mailed by April 2019.
- Destroy your old Medicare card.
- Guard your new Medicare card.
- Your Medicare Number is unique.
- Keep your card with you to show to your providers.
- Your new card is paper making it easier to use, copy and replace.
- Your health care providers will ask for your new card.
- You can find your number online if you forgot your card.
- Beware of fraudulent activity. Do not give your Medicare card number over the phone.
- Contact 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) if you do not receive your new card by April 2019. TTY 1-877-486-2048.
Download the complete 10 Things to know about New Medicare Card from www.medicare.gov.